Saturday, April 23, 2005

Saturday, 6 a.m.

I did it. I finished medical school yesterday. Nothing is official until May 13/14 at graduation, but my final clinical rotation and last actual day in the hospital ended around noon PST yesterday.

As with many things in life, it was somewhat anticlimatic. There was no fan fare, whistles, or high fives as I walked down that long, sterile corridor towards the parking lot. I am actually pretty okay with that. For possibly this first time in my life, the self satisfaction of accomplishing something so large is reward enough. I don't need public reinforcement of my completion. (Not to say I won't enjoy it in a couple of weeks.)

The next three weeks will be spent packing, selling a car, riding, hiking, visiting with friends, and cramming everything and everyone we have loved in Tucson into our lives before we leave. I am elated and completely terrified of the next few months, but again, I am okay with that.

There have been many things I have wanted to write lately, so hopefully I will catch up without the monkey of Surgical ICU on my back. I will also be starting another blog to chronicle my intern year as a doctor in Alaska. Sort of a Northern Exposure homage, (can I use that as my blog title?) if you will. Please keep posted, and keep up those mixed metaphors (Arthur, where are you? Such silence.).

Oh, yeah. I did get something out of four year of medical school. It is Saturday, 6 a.m...I slept in today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

So what's going on now? Are you packing? When do you leave? When does Jana leave? When is graduation?

I'm out of the loop up here.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home