Monday, April 04, 2005

Break it on down.

Sorry for the break. It has been something of a hectic couple of weeks. Latest update: Moving to Alaska at the end of May. Baby still coming around the 19th of June, and residency starting June 20th. I won't drag you into the quagmire of paperwork (I had to fill out 4 job applications for priviledges at the Anchorage hospitals) or the quandry of how we will be insured for the birth of Baby Boy Church, as I am certain all will work out.

On a more interesting note, we have just come from our first Childbirth class. Wooo. To sum it up, the instructor home schooled all four of her kids (if you know my opinions on homeschooling, this speaks for itself) and we sat next to an 18 year old Doula. The Doula had attended 3 home births (all of whom were her younger sisters) and felt aglow with the wonders of childbirth. I guess it wasn't that bad, but as I told Jana, as long as we don't break into small groups and have to share with each other, I am fine. (Our first assignment today...break into small groups and share with each other.) Fortunately our small group partners (another couple and the Doula) are also refusing to tell people what they have decided to name their baby. This has been our tactic to prevent disdain for our name choices and to drive Jana's mom crazy.

Lastly, I have been chosen to give our Convocation Speech. A strange honor. I talk a lot. A lot. If you are reading this, you likely know me, and you can atest to my verbose nature (I'd say "loquacious nature" but I am not really that elequant). That being said, I have never given a talk with a prepared speech. I have made presentations, performed on stage dressed as a leprechaun, and even sang Brittany Spears songs completely sober in front of a crowd, but I have never actually had to plan what I would say. This is a new and interesting challenge for me. A chance to take the writing I have have done via this site and translate it to spoken form. Fun. Scary. Anyway, what should I say? What would you tell a group of new physicians to do with their lives? Let me know what you think.

Tomorrow (or whenever I get around to writing)... more on the Nigerian internet money scam and "How to write a graduation speech (alternative title: Guess what I'm buying on the internet this week)."

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Congratulations, Rob. That is quite an honor. I'm sure your speech will be great.

What would you tell a group of new physicians to do with their lives?

1) Congratulations--the easy part's over. Try not to kill too many people, now.

2) Make the tough calls and stand by them. Know that this will sometimes mean you're wrong.

3) For the love of all that's holy, don't ever think you've got this shit all figured out.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm so sad we're not in tucson to hear your speech. I think seeing you up there after all that you've been through, knowing you're moving where you want to be, with your awesome wife in the audience who is pregant with your first child would make me cry like a baby. I already have a little knot in my throat.

Congratulations. We're so proud and happy for you.

12:18 PM  
Blogger rob said...

Thanks for the tips and comments. I will keep you posted about the content, and probably publish the whole thing here eventually.

10:15 PM  
Blogger marsha said...

Maybe you could sing a britney spears while dressed as a leprechaun. It would be an unforgettable graduation ceremony. (OK I know that's not very original but it's damn funny)


What a lot of pressure.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home