Wednesday, February 23, 2005

My "peers" have no imagination

Okay, this is serious. Well, kind of serious. Serious in the fact that I actually do have to draft a speaker for the Medical School graduation ceremony. My "peers" at the COM entirely lack the imagination to put forth real/valid/interesting options for speaker (or the ability to read this blog...anyone out there...?). Thus far we have had inquiries and been turned down by or unable to contract Sen McCain, Gov Napolitano, John Stossel (host of ABC's 20/20...he has a warm spot in our hearts), Jon Stewart, and Surgeon Gen Carmona (he spoke a couple of years ago...and a little too controversial in town).

What I impart on you is to give me some ideas for 1)Someone who will actually be an interesting speaker, 2)Someone who may (not required) have ties to or an interesting outlook on the medical profession, 3)Someone of renown who has an impact on or perspective on the status of healthcare in our country, 4)Any other suggestions you have. I need to get this done. The Man is breathing down my neck. I know most of you are more politically inclined or well read than the average medical student of the University of Arizona. Let me know what you think.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

Thomas Szasz

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Thomas Szasz? expound on your feelings for him

9:05 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

That link is live.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Just thought of these after we met up in the cafeteria:

Ronald Bailey--science correspondant for Reason and author of the upcoming book "Liberation Biology"...I don't have time to post links, but you know how to use Amazon, right? He recently wrote a piece in favor of mandatory health insurrance (a la mandatory auto insurrance) as a sort of "third way" solution to the socialzed vs. corporate health care debate. Interesting guy.

Jacob Sullum--another Reasonoid who has written a great deal on public health issues and drugs in particular. Definitely the more controversial of the two, but would offer a very intersting and well-presented take on the profession, I think.

Both of these guys are every bit as interesting as Stossel, but nowhere near as famous. In fact, Sullum has responded personally to my email before. So they might actually fit in your budget.

I don't know if they do this sort of thing, but you have nothing to lose by asking.

Contact info and extensive archives of their writing can be found through reason.com.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

BTW...if either of those guys spoke, I'd definitely sneak into your graduation ceremony.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home