Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Random bits...

I will write more about the interviews later, just had to get this out...

Natural selection at work. I saw a guy pulling out onto Campbell from 3rd St on a motor scooter beign driven with one hand while he talked on his cell phone. Passed this guy again probably 5-10 minutes later on Speedway. Still on the phone. Unbelievable.

I helped take out a kidney yesterday. Sweet. I drove the laproscopic camera while the doc I was working with had on hand in the patient's abdomen (retroperitoneal space to be more specific) through a port he made and the other hands worked various cutting/cauterizing tools. Sweet.

After a long day of surgery, I realized that I had signed up for the student sponsored refugee clinic last night. Didn't want to go. Went anyway. My patient (spanish speaking only) had what were translated to be concerns about HPV (warts to you and me). Guy walks in with huge lumps behind his right ear. Looks like lymphoma. Glad I came in. Now, how does a Mexican national with minimal income get the neck biopsy and treatment, in this country, that is necessary to save his life?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

Amazing - all these Mexican nationals risking life and limb to get into the U.S. when they can't even expect access to life-saving health procedures should something go wrong.

What are they thinking?

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home