Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Idaho

So I have to admit, Boise is actually a pretty cool place. Very unexpected. From what I hear, it is the "New Denver" with a lot more potatoes. Jana and I saw a mound of potatoes approximately 50 feet high and larger than a football field. Big draws include Bridger Bowl, Sun Valley, 300 days of sunshine each year, and Brother Dave. Not too many negatives here, except the crime spree in nearby Caldwell (two drive by shootings this year, the end is near). The residency is very strong, allegedly in the top ten for the country, but the residents really didn't seem very happy. They also provided boxed wine at the post interview party. Boise was much higher on my list before I visited other programs.

Pocatello, not so cool. Nice people, very nice people, very very creepily nice people. Too nice. The faculty was awesome, good liberal academicians, the residents mostly of the LDS faith. In this small town it would have been a little overwhelming. On the positive side, very good feedback. I was actually taken out of an interview by the program director in order to call Jana on our cell phone and have her come to interview with the director of the pharmacy residency regarding job opportunities. Seems like they want me to come.

I will talk about Oregon tomorrow. I have to admit I had a very exhausting, yet rewarding week. It seems that the medical school process (admission, basic sciences, clinical sciences) are not so good for the ego. After being beaten down the past few years, it has been quite a serendipity to actually be wanted, recruited, and encouraged to join the residencies I have visited.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I'm curious to hear about the Oregon interviews. Do you guys think that the job market for Jana will be better/worse in any of the places you are now seriously considering? I don't know how this all works - when you were at these places interviewing, where there other people there at the same time interviewing for the same spots? If so - did you talk with them about how they felt about these places? Just curious.

10:27 AM  
Blogger rob said...

In brief...job market for Jana is good everywhere. It would be nice to be near a VA hospital, as most places I am interviewing are. There were between one and eight other people interviewing with me, although each interview (usually two facuylty and two residents) was on a one to one basis. Oregon info coming up.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home