Thursday, December 02, 2004

Oregon and Montana

A brief overview of the Oregon leg of the trip: Flew from SLC to Portland on a Monday night. Dinner with the folks from Vancouver Residency program Tuesday night, interview in Vancouver Wednesday. Dinner with the folks from Milwaukie Providence (in Portland) Wednesday night, interview on Thurday. Drove 6+ hours down to Klamath Falls Thursday night, interview in KF on Friday. Out with the residents on Friday night, back to Portland Saturday. Hang with Lisa, Ken, and Dave "The Snuggler" Lent on Saturday night, and head to Billings, MT on Sunday. Exhausting. All the programs were good. I love the Portland area and would be very happy there.

Surprised most of all by the Milwaukie program. It started near the bottom, but has moved to the top of my list, followed closely by Klamath Falls and Billings. I enjoyed hanging out with the folks in these three programs the best. I am finding that I will get good training in any of these programs, and am basically just looking for the best fit, personality wise.

The Montana leg didn't start out so well, seeing as Billings is a ghost town on a Sunday afternoon. The resdients, however, were great, and they have a clinic in Yellowstone where I would spend at least a month. Sweet.

High hopes still for Alaska. The process has become tougher since I now know there are other places I would be happy. Unexpected. I'll post more as I figure things out.

Along the way, I have been reading Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven. Great book. The LDS Church has a crazy, violent background, particularly the fundamentalist side. Very uncomfortable carrying this book three times through the SLC airport.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

I want to get that book. You should let me borrow it.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

The LDS Church has a crazy, violent background, particularly the fundamentalist side. What group of fundamentalist anything doesn't?

Glad to hear the trip went so well. Too many good choices is the best kind of problem to have.

As I mentioned to Jana before you left, though, I am completely unsurprised.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home