Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Psych

I have turned down two jobs in the past week and a half for more money than I ever imagined I would ever make. It is a very odd and unsettling feeling, particularly because I haven't accepted another position yet. There is one in the works, and I feel fairly confident, but still, very unsettling. All of my doom and gloom will soon come to an end and financial freedom (or something closely resembling it) will soon be mine. What will I write about? Perhaps you'll get haikus or limericks instead.

Aside from the job and sleepless baby front, I have transitioned to a Psychiatry rotation. This is an area where I feel I have some insight, but have traditionally been quite lost at how to make optimal treatment strategies for my patients. The Shrink that I am working with is fantastic and interestingly more of a biological model psychiatrist as opposed to the Freudian or behavioral type. All of those transmitters and neuronal pathways I have managed to forget since the beginnings of medical school are coming back to haunt me. If I had paid more attention, I might have even been able to understand what some of my grad student friends were studying. Anyway, the learning is great, and I get to meet crazy people all day(in the field we discourage the use of the term "loonies" - this also avoids confusion with the Canadian currency of the same name). There are also some fantastic descriptive terms which I will toss out occasionally. My favorite discussions today perseverated around "the raven and the wolf coming down from the mountain" and "that cockeyed cherokee that I love, but still buy her liquor." Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home