Thursday, February 07, 2008

Super Tuesday

When you are anticipating that a Tuesday will be 'super', it's a bit of a stretch. Friday, Saturday, now those are 'super' days. But, when you combine the current election season, Mardi Gras, and my birthday, February 5th seemed pretty darn 'super' this year.

We have had a bit of a rough stretch here in Juneau (I will expound in the next day or so), but things look like they are turning around. Tuesday was mostly work as usual for me, but I found myself sadly excited by the fact that I had a patient test positive for influenza B despite having his flu shot this year. I felt a little bit like a medical investigator, as my suspicions were confirmed and then followed up with the manditory State of Alaska infectious disease reporting process. Jana, my mom, and our fleet of children were actually able to get out of the house and go for a ride in the seemily doomed Chrysler Town and Country, easing some feelings of cabin fever and adding some variety to the day. This was all followed by well wishes and birthday cards from the family over a nice dinner at the Hangar, a local joint here in Juneau (don't get the Halibut Taco, I know it seems like a good idea, and it wasn't horrible, just a little unfulfilling).

The exciting part of the night was unfortunately wasted on me. As Jackson and I fought our way out into the snowstorm to bring our car to the front door and ease the transport of the babies, a young girl came up to Jana to ask if she could see the baby (most people surprisingly only notice one at a time, the unexpectedness of twinning, I guess). Jana kindly introduced the babies, and as her mother commented on their beauty and angelic presence, Jana realized that she was introducing the to Sarah Palin, yes, ladies and gentlemen, America's Hottest Governor.


Juneau is a funny place like that. It was also conveniently the night of the Democratic and Republican Caucus which brought all sorts of creatures out into the night. The Governor's house is just a few blocks from where we are staying this month. It is on a small, yet busy street. There is no gate, no fence, a trampoline in the backyard, and you could actually walk right up and ring the doorbell to sell your subscription to Grit. It is truly nice to live in a place where politics, no matter how oddball at times, is so accessible.

Anyway, the night was topped off by yellow cake with chocolate frosting. It doesn't get any better than that.

PS-Thanks to all of our friends who have replied with love and sympathy from some of my past few postings. It really hasn't been that bad, and again, none of this (except the arrival of the twins) is really new or sudden to us. We have adjusted fairly well, but I grew weary of the piecmeal explanantions when we had therapy, doctor's appointments, or questions about what I will be doing for work in the next few months.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Neat. You met the GILF.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GILF indeed...that's awesome Churches. Rob, come back to Anchorage, I'm tired of seeing your patients with all of their problems. Funny - they all seem to expect hugs. Do you hug your patients? -Porky

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home