Monday, January 28, 2008

Welcome to Juneau

One night sleep doesn't quite do it, but maybe I'll be more refreshed tomorrow. I am in Juneau with the rest of the fam still in Anchorage. Jana had a much livelier night with a power outage, waking children and scared dogs crapping on the floor. Did I mention that I didn't hear my phone ring at 1:30 a.m. because I was alseep. Worst father ever.

On a more entertaining note, I will try to get some Juneau pix up. It is phenomenally beautiful here, and unseasonably cold. Actually, it almost never gets this cold here. It has ranged from about -6F to 10F above over the past two days. The steep, narrow, labrynthine streets of Juneau are so frozen that I had to give up on my quest of driving to my apartment 6 blocks early and walk. A friend and I spent nearly an hour trying out the many ways one can slide down a hill in a minivan. The view is worth it, however, and I bought chains today so the rest of Team Church will be able to drive to the front door. Still exciting when you start sliding out with chains on.

Juneau is an interesting place. The legislature is in session right now, and there is a remarkably well educated liberal populace in this town living in $300,000 shanties so that they can walk to work. (I'm not talking about you house, Clint, I swear. I know how much you paid for it.) There is also a fantastic bagel shop, something that Anchorage desperately lacks. I'll try to throw some history at you tomorrow, as I don't much kid stuff to add when they are a few hundred miles away. Peas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home