Sunday, February 17, 2008

Potty Training

Diaper service. This is what I do. I can't feed them. I can't soothe them on my ample bosom. And I am far to uncoordinated to rock them to sleep. When I rock, I rock! I have to say though, I am getting pretty good at the double diaper at 4 a.m. thing. Jackson is a different story...

The average age for potty training is around 2 1/2 years. Girls a little earlier (2ish), boys a little later (more like 3 - or 35 for some of us). When you review the potty training literature (oh yes, there is literature, I have read books, scholarly articles, and I am even on a tip-a-day email list...valuable tips with themes such as "inconsistency and how it can hurt you." I must digress for a moment, because I received the following email today, from the aforementioned email listserv...

"It's me Johanne again. Thank you for coming by today. Yesterday I was thinking about why you haven't ordered your copy of Potty training Made Easy, Simple & Fast. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Must be the price. So as a thank you for letting me take this journey with you I am going to let you try out the book.
Here is what I have in mind. As you know the book retails for $17 on the website. I will let you order the book for $7.95 and try it out for thirty days. After thirty days we will automatically charge the difference of $9.05.
This lets you review the book for a full 30 days before deciding if you want to keep it. If for whatever reason you decide the book is not for you just simply email or call me at 203-404-7178. You can ask for me or my husband Greg. Not only will we not bill the difference but I will refund the $7.95."


Yohan is creeping me out more than a little bit. What kind of high pressure sales school did The Potty Trainer go to? I would provide a link to the website, but I don't want to hunt you like they've hunted me. Pray for me. Hope that all is not lost. At least I have secured my genetic lineage...but what if they come for the children????? Damn you Potty Trainer....Damn you!!!!!But I digress).
Jackson has virtually no interest in potty training. He does understand the process, although there were some anatomy lessons involved (why does the pee come out my butt?), and he knows when he is going (he hides in the next room and shouts at you when you try to check on him). Where is the breakdown? Perhaps he is just too cognitively immature, despite his apparent vocabulary and reasoning ability. As an attempt at encouragement, we have insititued a couple of regular practices in the locker room of Team Church.

1) The Candy Policy - if you tell us you have to poop, you will get candy. This has morphed into if you even hint that you might think about pooping somewhere near a potty someday when you are older you get candy. It really hasn't worked. But he does really seem to like candy.
2) The Open Bathroom Policy - modelling. If he sees Daddy do it, he will follow. This really hasn't worked very well either. It has done wonders, however, for my self esteem. There's nothing quite like a two year old shouting "Wow!!!" at the initiation of micturation to make you feel like you have some great power. And when I walk from the bathroom with him telling me that "you did a great job" I truly know that I have talent. At least we have been able to train him to knock before he comes into the bathroom. Visitors to the Church household, please note: Lock the door.

All told, we haven't had much luck...until the other night. Jackson attempted to join Carmen, the two year old daughter of friends on her way to the potty. I was obligated to intervene (although I envied his chances of seeing the inside of the women's restroom) and take him to the men's potty for another failed attempt. Trou was dropped, the diaper unfastened, and I stood ther holding him, suspended about six inches above the floor, feet dangling, trying to point him somewhere near the direction of our porcelin target. We waited, and waited a little more, and just as I was about to pull the diaper back up, I saw a miracle. Drip, drip, he's was doing it!!! And then the dam broke loose, with me again trying to aim and both of us a little frightened about the whole process. My apologies to the staff who cleans the bathroom at the Dragon Inn. They will know it was us too. Nothing quite captures the joy of a two year old running through a restraunt shouting to his mommy that he pee'd in the potty. It was like Christmas all over again.

Anybody got $7.95 so I can get this monkey off my back? Seriously. I'm a little nervous.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lennie said...

Ahh, the promise of 3-Day potty training. I almost got sucked in myself, but didn't leave my e-mail. Sounds like it was a good decision. When we were discouraged about Peter (not 6) having no interest in potty-training at 2.5 yrs, we put all things into perspective and said, when he's ready, he'll do it, it's highly unlikely that he'll go to Kindergarten in diapers. And no, he did not go to Kindergarten still in diapers......it was like magic right around his third birthday......bye bye diapers, hello toilet. Now nighttime training.....that's a whole other animal.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Lennie said...

BTW, Peter is NOW 6 - not "(not 6)"....and still potty trained. Thomas on the other hand (exactly 1 month younger then Jackson) is not buying the whole "let's go pee in the toilet, just like your big brother" thing. I get hopeful with every success, but now just deem them as Random Acts of Kindness. All in good time.....

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried the 3 Day Potty with my daughter Alexandra. After a week we brought her to the grocery store. It was an accomplishment that we made it. No accidents at all. Were still trying to work out night time training. She's turning 3 in 3 months time.

3:21 AM  
Blogger myminime said...

I have tried all the potty training manuals and joined almost all the potty training camps. I was almost at my wits end until I ran across this potty training website. In 3 days my 18 months old daughter was fully potty trained. I am now trying it again on my 18 months old son. People look at me weird and say rude comments about it. It has worked before and I know it should work again.
I just wanted to pass along this potty training book. It gives you tons of great tips for getting started. The author also talks about how much money you will save from not buying diapers. It is written by a mother who also taught preschool and helped potty train a lot of her students.
She isn’t a doctor or psychologist but a mother who has been there and accomplished it. The book is usually $27 dollars but she is running a sale right now for $17 dollars. And you can just download it onto your desktop. No waiting for it to come in the mail. The best part cos i was also able to ask for tips from their online customer support team.
So good luck and I hope it helps!
http://thepottytrainer.com

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home