Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Boy

This day I am a father. As I have written most of you, Jana went into labor this past Tuesday. She labored for nearly 21 hours, pushed for 3.5, and finally gave birth to our son with the aid of forceps. It was a very long day and she was spectacular.

This week has been filled with wonder, devoid of sleep, fraught with concern and has been generally exhausting. Jackson Powell has done well with the exception of being a little slow to take to nursing. It is amazing to me that Jana and I can be so well educated and so helpless when it comes to the basic instincts of parenthood. All has mended itself, however, and the human comedy of breastfeeding is at its best in our home. The vigor that Jackson has shown, once he figured out where the food comes from, has been nothing short of fantastic. I almost had the skin sucked off my knuckle by simply brushing it past his face when he decided it was time to eat.

In the near future, I will figure out how to post pictures once again, and try to update between periods of sleep. I have also written a handful of other commentaries which somehow pale in comparison to my boy (Kyle, your prediction of “sappy parenthood” blog is a distinct possibility), but I will post them as I see fit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! There is nothing more amazing then the birth of a child and all the sleepless yet wonderful moments/days/weeks/etc that follow. I am so excited for you both.....although a little jealous that I still have four weeks to go!

By the way - what is Jackson's actual birthdate?

Congrats, again, to all three of you!

Lennie

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home