Tuesday, October 05, 2004

If you could choose...

I saw Sally Struthers on TV tonight. No starving Ethernopians, no Bunkers, she was on the Gilmore Girls as a random townsperson voicing her opinion. Big as a house.

Sorry, that was rude. Funny perhaps, but rude none-the-less. The greater question might be: Rob, what are you doing on Tuesday night watching The Gilmore Girls? The easiest answer is that Jana was watching it and I just happened to be passing through the room between doing something medical and doing something profound (such as writing this blog). The true answer is that this show has some of the most entertaining dialog on TV today. I can't quite put it up there with Arrested Development, primarily due to subject matter, but it has much of the same type of fast paced, rhythmic, clever, and entertaining dialog. 'Nuff said, watch The Gilmore Girls.

Now for something completely different...We had a lecture on Aphasias today. An aphasia is (per Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary): Absence or impairment o the ability to communicate through speech, writing, or signs because of brain dysfunction. There are approximately-at-least eight different types, which I won't expound on at this time. The two I am concerned with are Broca's and Wernicke's Aphasias. They are much more complex than this, but if you boil them down, Broca's involves "broken" or the nonfluent speech (average words per sentence one), and Wernicke's involves a fluent, almost non stop, jibberish-type speech(average words per sentence seven). These come from strokes in specific parts of the brain. If I have time, I will try to provide a link showing examples of the two (or maybe someone with more free time could provide some links in the comments sections).

So my question is: If you had to choose one or the other (in pure form), which would you choose?

I'll go first. I think I would choose Broca's, and consequently a life almost devoid of the sounds coming out of my mouth. I am certain this will be a surprise to many of you who know my propensity for yammering on. I think a life of dignified silence would be more comfortable to me than a more verbose, but no greater content form of communication.

To speak without content or to not speak at all. Now you...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would choose Broca's - in human neuro they Nolte showed us video of the Wernicke's - it doesn't even make sense. At least with Broca's there is some basic meaning conveyed via the words you are able to spit out (there are many who benefit from speech therapy I think - is that right?). Although - isn't that where (approx) our 'mirror cells' are? If so, then I'd take Wernicke's. Now I need to check. marsha

9:17 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

The choice has been made for me.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

I think Ray here sums up my feeling on said Gilmore Girls.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Broca's. Obviously.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

By the way, it was terribly clever of you to mention Wernike's aphasia and Gilmore Girls in the same post. Even if you didn't mean to, you should still take credit for it.

I suppose this constitutes an admission that I've actually seen the Gilmore Girls...

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home