Sunday, August 08, 2004

More rain

Things I did in the rain this weekend:

Hiked down the East Beach late last night after coating myself in mud splatter from unwisely riding my bike. The rain was going sideways by the time I got there. Very difficult to look ahead. Found myself looking down at the ground most of the time, which is what I usually do anyway, looking for cool things on the beach. Which I did find. First find was a 2L plastic beer bottle from Russia. Choaobh biere, or something like that. It brought home how close we actually are to Russia up here. The second find was a smelly dead thing that was very likely a walrus carcass. Unfortunately (or fortunately, maybe) it was far enough out in the surf that I didn't investigate it as closely as I would have liked, in order to see if there were tusks still attached. Ivory is fair game if you find it washed up on the beach, and the best of all finds is a complete walrus skull with tusks (smelly as it may be). Hopefully I will come across some in Shishmaref this weekend.

Went on a "hike" today which actually wound up being more of a van trip due to the inclement weather. We got out and soaked ourselves up within a few minutes, enough to be wet the rest of the day, and saw a couple of things on the road to Council that I hadn't seen yet. We found some old foundations for 2000 year old sod houses, and visited the Safety Roadhouse, the last checkpoint for the Iditarod Dog Sled Race. Not the hike I had hope for, but much better than sitting in the living room, watching the rain.

I'm off to "Shish" in the morning, so I don't know if there will be many (if any) posts this week due to lack of facilities. We allegedly have computer access, a microwave, stove, and one of only four accomodations with running water in the village of 500 people. Should be interesting to say the least. Look at the maps of where this place is on one of the links I provided. I will keep you posted. Knee is much better, by the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home