Sunday, August 01, 2004

Can anyone link Bruce Campbell and Kevin Bacon within 6 degrees of seperation?

So, my hike was a bust yesterday, but the BBQ on the beach was awesome, particularly the part that involved driving 4-wheelers up and down the beach, and finding two walrus carcasses (carcassi?). Alas the ivory had already been scavenged, but what a foreign looking skeleton. Sort of like a cow with little tiny legs. Also, the good company of some of the work folk was nice, as my social life has been less than stellar. I work with some good people, and it was nice to be not-working with them for an evening. Plus the 4-wheelers were awesome.

The earlier part of the day was spent watching Army of Darkness, and Footloose ("Jump back") two movies that are in their own categories of greatness.

Most importantly, my ride today was phenomenal. I rode about a 20 mile loop heading out of town and cutting across a pass between two of the main "highways". The middle section was about five miles long, with the first two being a grueling "Lances rides the French Alps" kind of ride (except that I am not like Lance, and it was probably significantly more painful for me than it would ever be for him. Lance rocks.) and the next three being all down hill. There is a lot of wind today, and I was riding into it from every direction except for the downhill portion. That also happened to be the only place where the sun broke through and lit up the magnificent valley through which I was riding. About half way through my trip I pulled off the road, climbed the hill and sat to eat a snack and refuel for the ride home. The sun breaking through the clouds, the Nome River snaking through the valley below (not to be confused with the Snake river noming through the next valley over), and me finding myself plopped down in an endless field of blueberries. My snack was greatly enhanced as I consumed all the berries that were within reaching distance, and then scooted over a couple of feet to continue my grazing. There is something about these little tiny blueberries. They aren't as plump and pretty as outside Alaska, but they are solid flavor, skip the pulp. Anyway, that made up for the next ten miles of uphill, into the wind riding that returned me to town. Throw in my mile walk down the beach, and a little more Tomb Raider, an it was a good day.

Only a couple more weeks to go. Did I mention how cool 4 wheelers are?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob, it's Lisa. Bruce Campbell (of Army of Darkness fame, 1993) was in the Hudsucker Proxy (1994) with Tim Robbins, who was in Mystic River (2003) with Kevin Bacon. Thus, a Bacon number of two. Many props to the Oracle of Bacon website http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/ at the University of Virginia. Wahoowa.

10:15 AM  
Blogger rob said...

Lisa, you rule!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home