Thursday, July 29, 2004

Fish story

Sometimes medicine doesn't suck. Remember yesterday when I told you about the lady and the methotrexate? After a lot of research, and contacting several docs in Anchorage, it turns out the MTX is an all or none type of teratogen. So, if there had been any effect, the embryo should never have implanted. Given, nothing is 100 percent certain, but this was much more pleasant news to share with my patient on a return visit today. Also cool in the world of medicine was my marathon casting experience today with three arm casts and nearly a foot cast. It is really kind of fun.

So I promised a story about fishing. I have only gone a couple of times since I have been here, not keeping anything due to my dislike of salmon, but enjoying the catiching part, none the less. Dave (my "little" brother who has a job and a life and stuff) wanted to do a little fishing while he was up here, so we both got fishing licenses for the weekend, and the folks brought a couple of poles. A missing part left us with only one functional rod and reel, but it was more than sufficient. I have never seen fishing like we saw this weekend, and apparently neither had many of the local residents. The first river in which we fished was the Nome River, where David caught two pinks, and I, due to reel malfunction, caught none (despite the fact that we wound up sharing and I still had more fishing time). Thus, Champion Of The Day(COTD) for Friday went to David.

The next day we fished in the Soloman river. While we were driving down the road, nearly 30-40 feet about the river, we could see thousands of fish working their way upstream to that great spawning ground in the sky. We pulled over, and between the two of us, we caught nearly 20 fish in less than an hour. It was amazing, every other cast there was a fish on the line. We just took turns, three casts apiece. No score was kept that day due to the sheer number of fish, but I will crown myself COTD since David is not here to defend himself.

Finally, Monday, last day in Nome, we stopped at the Sinuk river, a few hours before the family's flight south. Looking down from the bridge, the fish were so thick that you couldn't have squeezed another between them. Again with our one rod and reel we cast into the depth. This time, the rule was to take turns every three fish that were caught. The rest of us would watch from the bridge as the lure ("pixies" if you were curious) sank into the writhing mass of salmon and consistently five or six fish would follow the lure as it sank, even before the one fishing started to reel. If we didn't get several strikes or a fish on each cast, it was a little disappointing. Much different from the many hours spent to catch one fish in our youth. As a family (Mom and Dad even tried) we legally caught 30 pink salmon in about an hour and a half, and snagged several more, not to mention the ones that got away. Dave and I, tied at 12 or 13 apiece traded casts to end the tie breaker. Each of us catching a fish for several more casts. Dave finally outfished me by one salmon, making him the final and overall COTD. Congratulations David! ( He's lucky I have to be nice or people won't come visit me)

Enough about fishing. Sorry about the lack of funny, but so many fish. On a final note, I don't know how many of you have gone to alaskaboy.com on accident while trying to find my site, but it is a crazy weird German computer animation site. Everything is in this strange foreign language, and there is the blond Germanic looking character who appears to have created the site. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with Alaska. Weird.

Thanks again to those four of you who have been to my site 50 times or more, the egometer passed 200 hits recently.

3 Comments:

Blogger rob said...

I wish it was a three legged one footed person. That would have been cool. There is actually a lot of trauma type injuries around here because people are very active, play a lot of sports, and fall off their four wheelers and snow machines all the time. I have had 4 knee injuries today.

4:43 PM  
Blogger rob said...

That's exactly right. Fo instance, if I really wnted experience in gunshot wounds, I would go to Chicago, or some trauma center that got quite a few (although there have been atleast a couple here so far). The type of training is an important consideration, but for me, the location was probably equally important.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the interesting read, I'm glad I happened across yours.

Thank You,
texas fishing

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home