Sunday, July 18, 2004

I might actually lose some weight if I keep this up

So, I spoke too soon on how awesome soccer is. I did enjoy it thoroughly (thanks for the bony elbow tip, Marsha) but I also managed to nearly cripple myself. After I got up from yesterday's post, I could hardly walk back to my apartment. I decided to work it out with a 30 mile ride this morning. I think I am still quite crippled, but at least my legs seem to bend for now. The ride...awesome (note my lack of a thesaurus..and spell check). I didn't see any wildlife, but passed a lot of old mining ruins, and rode quite a ways down the west coast, into the foothills. The views and the sheer magnitude of some of the wide, sloping valleys I rode past were worth the hobbling. After arriving back in town, there was a note on my door that a couple of coworkers had gone fishing, so I just continued my ride down the east costal rode and joined them.

I know I spoke at some length about the fish yesterday, so will skip the mushy stuff, but they were thick again today. One of my coworkers had never been fishing, but caught three while I was visiting. I picked up a pole periodically when they were taking a break, and managed to catch and release five, myself. I wish I liked salmon, but and glad I didn't have to clean them. I will save up my freezer space for the silver salmon, which should be arriving in the next couple of weeks, and maybe throw a couple on the barbeque for everyone when I get back.

Nome was a popular place today. Crawling with tourists everywhere. There is apparently a small (114 person) cruise ship in town that goes through coastal Arctic Alaska, over to Russia, down to the Aleutian Islands, Dutch Harbor, Kodiak, and eventually back to Anchorage. Although everyone I saw was well into their retired years, it would be a very interesting way to see a pretty remote part of the world. There was also a Coast Guard ship in town, protecting the coast from...? I am not sure if Alaska would be a good location to be in the Coast Guard. I guess you would get to do a lot of rescues, but the high speed boat chases after drug runners are probably a rare treat around here.

Finally, I was going to talk about sausage poisoning, but forgot my notes, so will have to save that for another day. Instead, I will mention how I was watching ESPN 8 (The Ocho) last night and saw a frisbee dog competition. The whole deal just involved throwing the disk as far as you can, and the dog catching it. No fancy flips, no obedience commmands, no pedigree necessary, simple as a sport should be. Anyway, these dogs were catching disks at a distance of 130-180 feet. Now I know that I can throw that far, and I know that Maggie will catch just about anything I put up in the air for her. Anyone know how we can get entered into something like this?

Tomorrow: Sausage Poisoning

2 Comments:

Blogger Arthur said...

Errr...Rob? Are you sure that you are actually WORKING while you are up there? I don't think I ever got the impression that you were doing this much when you were in Tucson.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Arthur--for a med student, a 9-5, 5-day a week job is like a vacation.

Not that I would know firsthand.

Perspective.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home