Thursday, July 08, 2004

Blah, blah, blah

Just to fill you in on the details, I will omit some o the funny (although there is a lot that is inadvertantly funny hereabouts). I arrived Sunday, July 4 following a two day airplane ride via Seattle, Anchorage, and Kotzebue. Got to visit the folks in Anchorage overnight and received a bounty of banana bread nd cream of wheat. Little did I know that I would be living off of these items due to the great expense of food here and my absolute inability to cook for myself. I like to think of myself as fairly independent, but with all my time devoted to school this past couple of years, I neglected to realize that I no longer know how to function normally in the world. I am fairly certain that I can wash my own clothes, but cooking, and actually choosing food from the grocery store is nearly beyond me. I fear my social skills have also faltered but I had few to start with, so perhaps no one will notice.

I digress. Upon arrival, it was a balmy 55 degrees and miracula ously all my stuff ( and it is all just stuff) made it with me. Sorry Kyle, but your bike box has seen better days. I caught a ride on the van which was the version of a local cab, my fears of not being able to fit all of my stuff abated (as all the other people in the van had nearly as much as I). My one bedroom apartment, plush by the trappings of Nome has a kitchen and a washer/dryer, and no out house. Historic downtown, end of the Iditarod Trail, is within walking distance (as is the rest of town), and everything is within a short bike ride. My neighbors actually have a dogsled in their front yard, as do many of the folks around here. However, the vehicle of choice is a four wheeler this time of year.

My arrival was just in time for the July 4 festivities, which included running and bicycle sprint contests for age groups ranging from toddlers to 60 year olds (ever seen 3 60 year olds race mountain bikes 100 yards down a muddy, wet street? I hated being a medical type person at that moment.) to a East Side verses West Side tug o' war. This was all topped off by an honest to God, pie eating contest. God Bless America. Being something of a city boy, myself, I thought much of this type of celebration only happened in old movies and that town owned by Disneyworld (Celebration, USA?). It was a good time for all and an appropriate indroduction to the town.

More on this subject later. Sorry I don't have anything that I am angry about or philosophical to say, but I am sure this will be something of a break from those blogs that revel in those topics. Please see my links if you are interested. Also if you, my friends are those people I know with blogs, send me your blog addresses so I can add them to the list. I am going to buy some fish (Special of the the day: Live Alaskan King Crab)

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

By "no out house", do you mean you have no place for your bike, or no bathroom? I would be very interested in the details of the latter, if it is the case.

My angry blog can be found at http://unclebrian.blogspot.com

8:06 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

http://members.cox.net/kylehampton/

Grrrrrr.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Arthur said...

Welcome to the wired world. 4500 people is like the size of, hmmm, all parts of the U of A north of Speedway.
Just wait till Quizno's arrives.

3:41 PM  
Blogger rob said...

The bike lives in my kitchen. I am just excited not to have to go to the bathroom out doors. Many of the villages here have no sewer or running water. In fact the last govenor ran a platform on bringing water and sewer to the villages. Glad to have a warm toilet seat.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home