Monday, July 12, 2004

Nome sweet Nome

A full week and more here, and I am finally getting used to the pace of things. As many of you know, I can't slow down very well, but I have managed to limit myself to only reading three books at a time (two more books than I have read in the past year) in my evenings off. It is very strange to have actual time off without a test to study for. I find myself actually studying to understand medicine as opposed to memorizing a group of disjointed facts. Novel thought.

Another novelty was the existance of a completely work free weekend. I honestly cannot tell you the last time I had a weekend off. I was able to make outings both days and see a little of the countryside. Saturday was a hike to Dorothy Falls with the National Park Service crew and Sunday was a drive up Glacier Creek road into the heart of some of Nome's historic mining district. The wildlife count was a little disappointing. Still no musk ox. We did see two moose on saturday, a ptarmagin (grouse type bird) and a reindeer on Sunday. I was excited about the reindeer as I thought it was a caribou (both inhabit the region, the difference being the former is domesticated and the latter is wild...both are tasty). The reindeer, a semifamous Nome resident, named Velvet was going on a walk with her owners and canine companion. The reindeer has been a part of a local family since she was a calf, and actually rides in the back of their truck like a dog (this was observed later in the day when I rode past the grocery store and there was a beat up toyota with a reindeer and a spaniel of some sort in the back (I almost typed "Spaniard" that would have been even more entertaining...crazy Spaniards). To make the weekend even better, I attended a lecture on the "Biting Flies of Beringia" by two scientists who travelled the artic lands looking for mosquitos, horse flies, and black flies. To those of my friends who fall into the scientist genre...kudos for picking bugs you can study in Arizona.

Enough for now. I had some clever things to say, but work has sapped them out of my brain for the time being. I hope all are well, and feel free to comment, let me know how you are doing, and give me feed back on the site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home