Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Quiet

Snake River, Nome Alaska

I'm not quite certain when I last sat someplace so quiet. For a moment I thought something was wrong with my ears. The sound of a Cessna 182 taking off from the north-south runway reminds me that the stream in which I am fishing runs past the airport, and is only five minutes from my apartment. I have caught any fish today. Not a bite. Perfect.

The secret to fishing is that it appears as if you are working, while you are not actually doing anything at all.

Finally settled today, I am going to Shismaref. This is a village of around 500 people situated on a sandbar of an island on the northern part of the Seward Peninsula. I've been told it is kind of dirty, as people leave the contents of their honey buckets along the street waiting for pickup. It is also very unique in it collection of ivory carvers and its continuation of an almost completely subsistence hunting and fishing lifestyle. See the links at the right for more info.

Health-wise, I am on the mend, but two nights of no sleep is catching up to me. Good night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, it's Lisa. I like reading your blog. It gives me peace. You are so fortunate to get to do this for your rotation. Too bad more med students (or anyone for that matter) don't take up such an offer. Hope you feel better soon.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Arthur said...

There are some advantages to getting sick once in a while - you get better at dealing with sleeping when your nose does its best impression of a traffic jam and your lungs the La Brea tar pits.
Think of this as training for when you are sick later.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

That sure sounds nice. You may have seen on my blog that Northern Exposure is back on. I am all jealous as hell because apprently in Alaska, everyone has PhD's in theology or are concert pianists. And all they want to do is talk about stuff or make art out of scrap metal.

Fishing seems as nice as anything though. Ah yes, fishing. Maybe me and the dog will go fishing this weekend.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home