Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Old Man, Winter

I went (downhill) skiing yesterday, and I feel old. Due to circumstances (residency, twins, knee operations, etc.) I haven't actually been skiing in two years. I have nice realatively new skis (no excuse there), there was great snow (no excuse there), and I am in reasonably good shape (for my age...no excuse there either). Mind you, I have fairly poor balance, which I believe is secondary to proprioception alterations due to said knee operations, which contributes to my skiing fitness. Aside from orthopedic issues, I also apparently do not have the intestinal fortitude that I had as a younger man/child. This may be the actual problem.

I skied by myself and was found to be surrounded by high school boys on holiday jumping off of lips and hills, landing backways, sideways, frontways, and upside down with no regard to their knees or heads. I used to do this. I used to be good (raced in college, although our team was not exactly known for it's skiing prowess...another story for another time). My day was spent wondering where the next bump or divot was and how it was going to effect my upright nature. And today has been spent dreading the trip downstairs and the screams of my thighs. What happened?

In my defense, I did get better as the day went on, and perhaps next time won't be that bad. Or, maybe I'll go snowboarding next time, because I already know that I am terrible at that, and I have no glory days to relive. Or, maybe I'll go to Australia. I hear that place is fantastic. Still don't know when they will be posting my video...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger strive4impact said...

Hey Rob!

Skiing in Colorado is awesome right now... not sure where you are, but the skiing might be better here.

As far as the IslandReefJob, it took our application about 10 days to be on the site... I don't know how long you've been waiting, but last I knew, they were inundated with applications, so definitely patience is recommended and necessary.

Drop us a line when your video is live though! Would love to see it!

Warmest,

Jonathan Kraft
CarrieAndJonathan.com
IslandReefWork.com

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home