Sunday, April 13, 2008

Off the government dole!

It's finally happened. I may actually be legitimate and am apparently employable. After several interviews and job offers in far flung locales, I have taken a job right here in Anchorage at the same hospital, with many of the same people I have known over the years. Not quite the draumatic branching out that I had imagined, but a fantastic position as a Hospitalist. For those of you unfamilliar with the terminology, a Hospitalist contracts with clinic physicians to manage their hospitalized patients. It is also shift work, so I say goodbye to call, and will be working 7 days on, 7 days off. Yes, 26 weeks off a year. Don't get me wrong, I will be driving pretty hard while on shift, but 26 weeks off is hard to ignore.

Most importantly, this means that we will no longer be involved with WIC (the food assistance program for women and children) and out on our own again. Despite my insecurities about being on government assistance, it has been a true help and is a great program. The experience has also broadened my perception of what many of my friends and patients have been through.

Jana also goes back to work this week which leaves me as Mr. Mom for a couple of mornings this week. Wish me luck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Congratulations, Rob! That's great news. And 7 days off at a time...imagine the possibilities! (I'm sure they include child rearing.)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Arthur said...

Congratulations Rob. I'm glad that things are slowly working themselves out.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Great news! Glad to hear it.

I would consider a schedule like that almost perfect for my work habits, which fluctuate between obsessive and completely distracted at pretty regular intervals. I hope you enjoy it!

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home