Sunday, August 14, 2005

A few scattered thoughts

V AC AT ION! I finally managed to coordinate my call switch and Team Church may be coming to a city near you! We'll be heading to Tucson on Sept 24 for a few days, then on to Evansville, IN on the 30th! We are looking forward to seeing all of our good friends and introducing Jackson to everyone.

I am addicted to Cheap Seats. I have never been a huge sports fan, and the time I have actually spent watching ESPN over the past few years has been relegated to watching college basketball, but these guys are great. It is a simillar (okay, actually the exact same) concept as Mystery Science Theater 3000. The hosts take old sporting events ("sporting events" is a loose category as they watched competitive Scrabble and frisbee last night) and make smart as comments all the way through. This is my dream job. The past couple of weekends they have had Cheap Seats marathons and I have sat through far too many episodes. Watch it.

My other TV watching for the week was Metallica's Some Kind of Monster, which I unfortunately only caught the last 2/3 of the movie. Tremendously interesting documentary. I haven't been a recent fan of Metallica, as they have aged and become more commercial. But the insite into how such a band works after 20+ years and rehab was fascinating. It's good to know that rock stars aren't so different from ourselves. The new base player is now my favorite member. Not only does he rock, but he seems to be the only one who really realizes how good he has it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Got your RSVP card yesterday...we're thrilled you're going to be here.

I found SKOM really compelling...actually, it made me like the St. Anger album. Well, most of it. Frantic is a great song to run to.

The scene where James Hetfield is sitting in his daughter's ballet class still kind of freaks me out, though.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

St. Anger still sounds like a bad Soundgarden cover band to me.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Saw that movie this weekend as well. Just the kind of thing I can get into.

I really like where they are trying to explain to the lead guitarist how the guitar solo concept was dated.

And then he counters that the band is following trends rather than making them.

Yay. We're both right!

Now what?

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home