Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I wish my children were famous.

"The way to be a good parent is, if you make a mistake, you make up for it." No, no, no, no no no! This sage advice from a psuedo-celebrity (okay, Lindsay Lohan's mom) indicates much of what is wrong with our child rearing these days. As a parent, a boss, an employee, a human, our job is never to "make up for it." Our job is to get things right. That is the great benefit of mistakes. When we're not busy trying to make up from our foibles, we can actually LEARN from them. Novel idea, I know. I am certainly not the world's best dad (despite what my t-shirt, mug, and plaque tell the visitors to our house) and very likely not the world's best boss (although I like to think the benevolent dictator role fits me well), but I expect my minions, whether they be employed or genetic to learn from their mistakes, just like I do. I am really not fond of apologies, I would rather see the job done correctly the second time around. Perhaps this doesn't fit into parenting as well as work, but I think some of the same principles would do many parents in our country a pant-load of good.

Anyway, I may be totally wrong with this as Mrs. Lohan was recently awarded a parent of the year award. go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home