Sunday, June 10, 2007

Women's Prison

I had the opportunity over the past month to spend some time in the Highland Mountain Women's Correctional Facility. Believe it or not, it was not nearly as sexy as my cinematic education has led me to expect. Oddly enough, this was not my first time at Highland Mountain. I played a softball tournament there while I was in high school, against teams such as the MatSu Stealers. It was a men's prison at that time, and before that it was a rehab facility. Oddly enough, a rather picturesque place.

I slept in the waiting room for nearly an hour before the guard came to process my paperwork and give me an orientation. I was there to provide medical services to the inmates as part of my training. My orientation consisted primarily of signing paperwork, reading a story (about a guard who tried to be nice and help an inmate's family...he got shanked...moral of the story: Don't be friends with inmates), and a short lecture on the pecking order of the inmates. Felons wear yellow jumpsuits. Misdemeanors wear blue. The psychiatric inmates wear red. An extremely pleasant female guard told me, with a smile on her face, and a spark in her voice, that they can shoot yellow jumpsuits and red jumpsuits off the fence. The blue ones can get away. The State Troopers will get them.

I wonder what color jumpsuit Paris has.

1 Comments:

Blogger marsha said...

hahahaha! red. hers is red.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home