Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Done and done.

I completed Residency last night with a formal graduation and all. A little anticlimactic, but otherwise very pleasant. To celebrate, today, I went to jury duty. Sweet. I have testified in well over 100 cases and spent a considerable amount of time in court in my former life as a forensic scientist, but I have never been set on a jury. The last time I was called, I knew the Prosecuting and Defense attorneys, as well as the judge. I had actually testified in the same courtroom the previous day.

Now, in a new state and with new rules (they get our names from the pool of people who applied for the Alaska Permenant Fund Dividend - that money they give all of us for living up here), I was called again. This time I had no excuse but to perform my civic duty. I was called to show this afternoon, or as we call it in Alaska "summer" (yes, today is one of the nicest we have had all year), and sat. And sat. And sat until my cheeks ached. Then after promptly filling out a form I was excused. Until next Tuesday. Gotta love the justice system.

PS-check the counter, it's my own little ego boost. You could be visitor number 15000. Let me know who you are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

I got called three times in Tucson...once for the grand jury (!) which I was able to get waived b/c I was in school. One time I sat around and then got to leave at lunchtime without doing anything. The second time I got to voir dire (sp?) and was promptly excused after being asked what I thought about breathalyzers...

I have it again in Durham in three weeks...

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home